Thursday 26 August 2010

Visitors

Ian and Jen came to visit last weekend. They just got their allotment in April so were keen to see ours. They last saw it two years ago when we had just taken ours on, so saw a big difference. It's very satisfying to share our plot with like-minded people. I think they felt that theirs wasn't quite big enough as Jen would like some fruit bushes and there isn't room.
I went down yesterday with some grass seed to extend the 'lawn'. The soil was already weeded and raked so it didn't take too long. I removed the stones from the surface, tramped it down using a board, raking down any high patches as I went. After spreading the seed I put up some sticks, string and a few plastic streamers to deter the birds. I didn't need to water as I knew it was going to rain in the afternoon. Well it didn't just rain - it poured. It's been raining for about 30 hours now, except for a brief spell this afternoon, and it's still raining! I hardly dare go down again in case all the seed has been washed away.
I picked a good basket of tomatoes and also dug up the rest of the potatoes. I planted Desiree and Pentland Crown this year and both have produced a good sized crop.

Betty and I went for a walk round the site and met Sarah who invited me in for a coffee. She was busy cleaning her onions. She showed me round and gave me a couple of her outdoor cucumbers. She has a very neat plot and a very welcoming shed.
Here's Betty resting on a piece of carpet providing shade over the bath - just in case there are any frogs in there!









No comments: