Friday 3 September 2010

The goldfinch

I went down today to water the grass, which fortunately wasn't washed away by the rain last week, and is just beginning to grow. I planted some oriental leaves last week and was about to water them when I noticed a bird which had got caught in the netting. He was flapping furiously but I was unable to free him. By the time I'd returned with scissors to cut the netting, the poor goldfinch was breathing his last. I managed to free him and massaged his little chest for a while, but to no avail. It's very sad sitting with a little warm bird in your hand and not being able to do anything to revive it.
The carrots and parsnips are beginning to grow now and also the fennel. I don't know if this is too late for them to develop - will just have to wait and see. I also have two long rows of developing celeriac plants. Don't know what I'm going to do with them all though.
The artichokes have begun to flower, and although they are no longer edible, they do look beautiful and the bees love them.
The corn has had only a limited success again this year. The first few we picked were delicious, but subsequent ones have been deformed and partly eaten away by ladybirds. And I thought ladybirds were the gardener's friend!

No comments: